SC - sage leafs and salamanders

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Fri Sep 19 15:02:03 PDT 1997

Sue Wensel asked:

<snip>
>   Has anyone tried adding cocoa or cinnamon to their shortbread dough?  How does
>   it turn out?  How do you need to adjust the mix for the additional dry
>   material?

The amount of cocoa or cinnamon (in the tsp range) should not be enough
to change the recipe.  If it doesn't all mix in, add another small dab
of butter.

An excellent way to top shortbread that I appropriated from a restaurant
that I worked at was to spread just a bit of an unusual jam like lemon
or apricot on the top. Sometimes they did it in rows so you would get a
different combinations of taste as you ate your square of shortbread.
Not that good shortbread needs any toppings but it sure tastes good!

Alianor