SC - Cauliflower

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Sep 20 06:58:28 PDT 1997

marilyn traber wrote:

> LYN M PARKINSON wrote:
>
> > .  The
> > trick, as with any game, is to cook it slowly and at lower
> > temperatures
> > than supermarket-type domestic meat.  I don't think it would much
> > resemble Campbell's Chicken noodle soup.  Not if you did it right...
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Allison
> > allilyn at juno.com
> > Master Chirurgeon, Companion des Lindquistrings, Princess' Order of
> > Courtesy
> >

> I hope to [insert diety of choice] that they had the sense to not make
> food come out like that vaguely poultryish dishwater with pale squooshy
> ersatz pasta in it!
>
> margali
> [who make a mean batch of jewish penicillin that has microbes quaking in
> their ooze!]

This is an example of culinary evolution at work. Lousy food cannot
survive under the harsh conditions of the outside world without an evil
or incompetent cook to provide a protective buffer, an amniotic sac of
awfulness, without which the gray, slimy food must wither away under the
clean sunshine of the normal world.

This phenomenon is described in detail in the logs of the great culinary
evolutionist, Dr. "Duff" Hodgkins, cook on the H.M.S. Beagle, on her
voyage to the Galapagos.

I doubt, though, that bad food is anybody's actual preference (except at
McDonalds, but that's another story). The recipe says to start with good
broth, and then cook the hares in it. That's a good sign. It doesn't say
at all, IIRC, that the pasta should be cooked in the broth, or in a
separate pot of boiling water.

Personally, I'm not entirely certain this dish is supposed to be a soup
at all, but I'd rather not get into my opinions on this until everyone
who wants to has had a chance to play.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com