Old WP format (was: SC - oat recipe)

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at ki.se
Sat Sep 20 11:02:44 PDT 1997

On Fri, 19 Sep 1997 09:50:37 -0500 PETERSR at spiegel.becltd.com (Peters,
Rise J.) writes:
>I had a wonderful shortbread cookie the other day (still warm,
>buttery, not
>too sweet, crumb-y rather than crunchy) -- and it occurred to me to
>wonder
>if shortbread is period.  Does anyone have (a) a period shortbread
>recipe
>and/or (b) a good modern shortbread recipe?
>
>=Caitlin, who can almost still taste that cookie<g>

Ooooh!!! At the Interkingdom Cooks event in Ohio this past July, a lady
arrived from Idaho, no less, with over 2 dozen varieties of shortbread.
All delicious, but some better and some best of all.  M. Kateryn de
Develyn had every variety, changing flours and sweetners. Tthey are so
simple to make, as flour, sweetner and fat (butter, originally, I
believe) that they must be quite old.  As soon as you have the idea of
making a baked goodie, this is the first and most basic thing you might
try.  I hope she's on the list, she can tell you all about the ones she
made and their history.

Regards,

Allison, also fondly remembering the shortbread
allilyn at juno.com
Master Chirurgeon, Companion des Lindquistrings, Princess' Order of
Courtesy