SC - Sat prep

Uduido@aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Sun Sep 21 06:24:33 PDT 1997

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

< snip >

> It's been pointed out to me (by a costuming Laurel friend) that the East
> Kingdom has many, many, more costuming, and C&I Laurels than it has
> cooking Laurels. In the past two years or so five or six Laurels for
> cooking were made, myself included, but they are still vastly
> outnumbered.

That seems to  be the same problem here in Ansteorra.  It took a long
time for cooking to be recognized as an art form here.  A number of
laurels that did some cooking have been recognized but cooking was
usually a secondary or tertiary skill NOT their primary area of
expertise.  I was the first laurel made (to my knowledge)in Ansteorra
for cooking as the primary area of expertise. It's been interesting
trying to get people here to stretch their palate beyond meat, bread and
cheese.  I am happy to say there are a number of wonderful cooks in this
kingdom that do wonderful feasts and have shown that yes, period food is
very edible.

  I will say one thing, feast is a bit higher up on the ladder of
important SCA pursuits.  People here like to eat and get grumpy when
feast is delayed!  Most crowns here in Ansteorra will ask that feast not
be held up if they are delayed by some bit of business.  So, no
grumbling tummies or soggy food.

just my 2 cent...

meadhbh