SC - Field Expedient Noodles

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at tddeng00.fnts.com
Mon Sep 22 10:32:47 PDT 1997

Haikufu!

> I should have been more specific.  Compared to the 12-14 hours each way
> that my duke and duchess were accustomed to, they find 2-3 hours to be
> simply amazing.  A day event "back home" for them took all weekend.  To
> most people in the East, where things are so close (comparatively
> speaking), that would be unheard of.  I'm near Boston and Providence,
> and four hours each way is about my limit.
>
> Rosalinde

	These are the recent immigrants from Artemisia, neh? It wasn't quite
that bad for them, unless they drove really slow (this being the land of
75+ mph speed limits), or had their children with them (requiring more
frequent stops). Groups around here are anywhere from an hour or so
apart, in the populated areas around Loch Salann (Salt Lake) to 3-4
hours in the northern realms (Montana), where I live. Since we try not
to stomp on each others' events, that means it is usual to travel 5 or
so hours to an event, common to go 8 hours, and the furthest (north to
south) is around 20 hours. East to west, it takes 6 hours of reasonable
and prudent driving, all freeway, to get from here in Sentinels' Keep to
the shire of Bronzehelm, and that's only half way across the state.
There just aren't any groups further east than that.

	As a result, most of our events do take place on a single day, with
Friday and Sunday being travel days. Cooking tends to be limited to a
luch, maybe, and a feast in the evening. For small camping events, where
they serve food, there's a soup or stew Friday night for the late
travelers, three meals on Saturday, and often a breakfast Sunday before
packing to leave.

	The distances are such that those of us who are interested in authentic
cooking are scattered, and have a difficult time supporting one
another's efforts. There's a long tradition of having feasts at events,
but most who cook them either don't care about choosing appropriate
dishes, or have serious misconceptions about what medieval food was
like.

	Yumitori