Compost: was SC - bird or bay?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Sep 23 23:11:30 PDT 1997

Uduido at aol.com wrote:

> << As a relative newcomer, I would LOVE to have this receipe! Verjus, please!
>  Please please please please!
>
>  Esko >>
>
> Come on, A, you can do it. I know you can. Blueberry verjus recipe please.
> :-)
>
> Lord Ras (ROFL)

Heh heeeeehhhhh, ya dirty old...

Lessee now...if it's really blueberry verjuice you want, and not
vinegar, then I suppose you want about fifteen pounds of unripe, green
blueberries, or enough to give you around a gallon of pressed juice.
Strain into a wide-mouthed fermenting jar, and tie a clean piece of
muslin over the mouth. Leave this out in the open for a week or two,
then transfer to a one-gallon secondary fermenting jug with an airlock.
When no more bubbles form in the airlock, you can bottle the stuff in
sterile bottles, such as clamp-top Grolsch bottles. Let age in a dark
place for 3-6 months before using. This is your basic verjuice.

If you then want to add a more recognizable blueberry character to it,
add one quart of additional crushed ripe blueberries (skins and seeds,
too) to your secondary fermenter, and let it sit for 2-3 weeks. Strain
and bottle.

OR, you can make a thick, sweet, blueberry wine and let it turn into
vinegar, either naturally or by adding a vinegar "mother" or culture.

OR, you can make vinegar or verjuice, and infuse blueberries in it,
which is more or less where we started, isn't it?

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com