Compost: was SC - bird or bay?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Sep 23 23:11:30 PDT 1997

Uduido at aol.com wrote:

> << The only [redacted] recipe I have for it makes something like 50 pounds,
>  so unless we can get Lord Ras or one of the other gentles who has worked
>  with this dish to post a more managable recipe, I'll need a bit of time
>  to work out a smaller-quantity recipe. >>
>
> I don't remember posting a recipe for Compost.. I may have but my memory
> seems to be failing me on this one. :-0
>
> Lord Ras

Sorry, I thought it was you. Someone posted a recipe for compost some
months ago.

It's a mixed pickle/chutney similar to Italian mustard fruits. Recipes
for it appear in le Menagier and in the Forme of Cury. The French
version calls for clove-and-ginger studded, immature nuts (probably
walnuts, but possibly hazels or some other type) to be pickled, along
with several other fruits and vegetables, each separately processed and
added to the mixture when their peak harvest date arrives (How's that
for thinking medievally, Aoife ;  )  )  The English version is much more
straightforward, with the various ingredients being parboiled, diced,
salted overnight, and added to a hot vinegar pickle / honey-mustard
syrup.

As I say, I have a recipe for making something like 50 pounds or more of
the stuff, and have not yet had the opportunity to reduce it to more
managable quantities...unless...
waitaminnit. Go to (those of you who can) these URL's:

http://www.adelphi.edu/~sbloch/sca/cooking/ppb.html#compot

and

http://www.adelphi.edu/~sbloch/sca/cooking/twelfth.night.html#Sauseges

The first URL has a recipe for a reasonable amount of compost made from
green almonds, in a synthesis of the French and English versions.

The second has a recipe for an ungodly huge amount of strictly English
compost. You can ignore the accompanying sausage recipe, which isn't
period anyway. Or not, as you wish.

Adamantius

Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com