SC - Shortbread help, please

Angie Capozello capozell at ben.dev.upenn.edu
Thu Sep 25 10:02:40 PDT 1997

Mike C. Baker wrote:

> ---Kathleen M Everitt <kathe1 at juno.com> wrote:
> > Here's the composte recipe you guys are talking about.
> > I happened to have it saved in one of my folders.
>
> Having now seen the recipe in question, I must observe
> that there is another ancient-yet-modern similar food
> item available to most any one with access to an
> Oriental grocery that carries Korean items.
>
> Yes, folkses, look mighty much like kim-chee to me,
> based upon ingredients and method of preparation.
> (And my father's memories.)
>
> Most essential difference may be amount of time
> in the crockery...

Probably the biggest difference between kim-chee and compost is that
kim-chee is pickled with salt and the naturally-occuring juices to form
a brine, in which lactobaccili form. So, the acid that does the work is
lactic acid. In compost, it's vinegar. Also, the vegetables in compost
are cooked, while in kim-chee they are raw.

Then, of course, there are the garlic/chili pepper issues to be
addressed...

Kim chee. It ain't for wimps.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy