SC - Shortbread help, please

Kimib2@aol.com Kimib2 at aol.com
Thu Sep 25 19:04:09 PDT 1997

Christi Redeker wrote:

> I am sure Mistress Elaina could touch on this far more than I could.  But here in the Outlands I have never, personally, seen a Laurel for the Art of Cooking.  I thought that Pelican was the award for those of us who drudge in the kitchen.
>
> My personal views on the subject?  A Laurel is given for the art of cooking, but does the populace notice more the Art or the Food?  My belief is the food (fed camps at Estrella, even when I didn't intend to, as long as it was edible period didn't even matter).  So, if you were not an artisan, would you award the person who took the time to feed so many hungering souls a Pelican for them time and effort put into service, or the Laurel for all the "behind the scenes" research, study, trial and error and pride in putting together the feast?

my opinion, both....   twould seem only appropriate.  But here in Trimaris,I do not even think that the populace out there in the feast hall notice we
in the kitchen exist.  Until it is time to complain.

> Food for thought.
> Not that I don't think that a Laurel is deserved by those who dedicate their time to the art of cooking, but as was said earlier, maybe that is not how the populace sees the person in the kitchen.

probably right...but a Laurel for reasearching and cooking feasts on a regular basis should be awarded.  In the mundane world master chefs, command
a rather steep salary.  I wish, as a nurse, I could make as much as my friend
who is just a pastry chef.

hunting down, testing, and figuring out a period recipe is not easier than
sitting down for hours to make a perfectly in period dress or embrodiery....
not tomention taste testing all those honey dormice.....

Aine