SC - Burned Rice-saving

Jeanne Stapleton jstaplet at adm.law.du.edu
Fri Sep 26 14:42:55 PDT 1997

calculated mischief is invigorating - mary anne radmacher-hershey

- ----------
> From: Marisa Herzog <marisa_herzog at macmail.ucsc.edu>
> To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG
> Date: Thursday, September 25, 1997 9:33 AM
>
> .  I do not know
> if there are no Laurels in the West for cooking, but seeing as there do
seem
> to be fewer feasts and less interest in cooking here than I see refered
to in
> other Kingdom's posts, perhaps it is just one of those percentage things?
> -brid
> (who wishes there were as many feasting events here as there seem to be
out
> there in the rest of the Known World)

	Dearest Brid,

How new are you tothe SCA?  I'm generally a lurker, but, I have made a post
or two in the past couple months.  I started out my SCa experience in the
West   (where I'm reminded all things are "perfect"  by my Artemesia
friends  :*})  And yes, while there aren't many "feast" events, there >ARE<
a lot of cooks, and people interested in cooking.  Think about it:  The
West has camping events through November, and start up again in March.  Not
much in-between time for inside events.   However, there is an especially
>LOVELY<  feast coming up:  The Golden Rivers Anniversary Banquet.  Held in
Sacramento the Saturday after Thanksgiving.  I had the wonderful experience
of being kitchen wench for the past two years and had a marvelous time
learning by doing and watching and talking.  If you have an inclination, I
suggest yopu volunteer (and get fed) or at least buy feast tickets.
Misties do travel to it.

	Do you get The Page??  That has information in it about the Cookrie Guild
and the Wooden Spoon, Copper Spoon and Silver Spoon competitons.  That's
how I fot started with dabbling with medievel foods.  The 12th night
cook-off is very intriquing, and not that complicated.  Moreover, Master
Duncan of Saxthorpe is a very very wonderful person and will be glad to
help yopu in your endeavors.

	My, have I rambled on, without too much of an introduction !!   My name is
Caointiarn, and now live in Artemesia... and I  am homesick for the  West.
 I started out learning heraldry, and have always been fond of cooking.  I
learned that by helping out in the kitchens helped me to schmooze, as while
living in the West, I worked the evening shift, and didn't belong to any
local group because of this.  If you have any questions, please feel free
to contact me . . .I live with another person, who has the e-mail address
(Mistress Morgan of Hawksreach)

	BTW I belive there  *ARE* laurels for cooking in the West.  Being in the
Mists, it wouln't be hard to find out.  I have my June page if you need
those addresses (cookreie Guild, Wooden Spoon)

	Lurking and listening. . .

A former Westie

	Caointiarn