SC - Re: O-T laurels

Mon Sep 29 06:45:51 PDT 1997

  Crush them for key-lime pie crust?

Nonsense.  Graham crackers, crushed.

OK, here's the recipe.  It's modified from one I found in the Miami Herald.
Obviously, not period in any way.

    Preparation time: 1/2 hour, plus 1 hour to chill.

    Graham crackers
    brown sugar
    cinnamon
    apple juice or cider [Crust]

    1 brick cream cheese
    1 can sweetened condensed milk
    3 limes
    1 kiwi (for garnish: optional)
    vanilla [Filling]

    Crush graham crackers to powder, mix with a little brown sugar and
    cinnamon, damp with apple juice or cider, and press into a pie
    tin.

    Mix a softened brick of cream cheese with one can of sweetened
    condensed milk until quite thoroughly mixed.  (You don't want white
    streaks of cream cheese to discolor the filling).  Mix in about a
    tsp of vanilla.

    Cut the limes in half.  From the first, remove one very pretty
    round slice.  Squeeze the remaining until you have one third of a
    cup of lime juice.  Mix this into the filling. (No pits!)

    Peel the kiwi, and slice VERY thinly.  Lay a ring of "half circles"
    of kiwi around the edge of the pie crust, so they will show a
    scalloped edge when the pie is filled.  Pour in the filling, and
    center the reserved round of lime in the center.  Chill for at
    least one hour.  This will hold in the refrigerator (if covered
    with plastic wrap) for as much as two days.  (That's as long as
    it has remained unconsumed..... it might last longer. :-)

It is a widely held belief in Florida that only Yankees decorate a good lime
pie with meringue.  I hold to that belief, despite being a Yankee, and I
don't do it.  A true Floridian would tell you that only a Key Lime is
suitable for a lime pie: I'll tell you that the sugar in this covers the
flavor nuances, and you cannot tell the difference.  Use any lime you can
get.  BUT: fresh does matter: don't use reconstituted for this, or it will
have a mysterious flat taste.

	Tibor