SC - first cooking experiences

Aldyth at aol.com Aldyth at aol.com
Mon Sep 22 12:11:04 PDT 1997

I was chief cook and bottle washer for my 4 brothers and sisters from age 8.
 I did church dinners at 15.

SCA cooking was another animal.  I signed on as cook help to Lady Renate in
our local shire.  I think the feast served 35 or 40. (she reads the list,
maybe she remembers?) and we had an antique gas stove that had a red tag on
it when we opened the kitchen door.  One side worked, and if you turned it up
high enough to cook, it burned one side and warmed the other.  The next
course was chicken breasts in a cream sauce, and they weren't cooking quickly
enough.  I ran home and got my microwave, prayed the fuses in the antiquated
hall didn't blow, and cooked the course.  They turned out ok, a little
chewier than it should have been,...and I was hooked.

Aldyth at aol.com