SC - Cook's badge + sorrel

DianaFiona at aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Tue Sep 16 22:29:36 PDT 1997

<<
 Dianna,

 Do you, perhaps, have a recipe for sorrel soup?  Mine are in storage.
 Once had a wonderful veal fricasee with sorrel...

 I guess I'll just have to plant LOTS of sorrel...some for the pot and
 some for the mail.  I've not seen sorrel listed, but haven't read a seed
 catalog for a few years.

 Regards,

 Allison
 allilyn at juno.com
 Master Chirurgeon, Companion des Lindquistrings, Princess' Order of
 Courtesy

     I don't have a recipe close to hand, but it's a cream-type soup in the
versions I've seen. So I would probably chop and saute' an onion or two, add
cleaned and chopped sorrel in as large a quantity as I had, cover the pan to
let it wilt, put in some good chicken broth and cream, simmer until tender,
then puree' in a blender to a chopped-fine-but-not disolved state, season to
taste and serve. If I had milk but no cream, or had to make a lot and was
short on sorrel, I'd probably make a roux in the pan after the onions were
done but before I put the sorrel in. For seasonings, pepper and a bit of
lemon peel to enhance the tartness, or, if I had lemon verbena, it would be
lovely. Or the nutmeg traditional to spinach dishes would work well here,
too.
     Of course, if it were for an event, I'd thicken with breadcrumbs instead
of a roux, but the rest would be reasonable. Now the question is, can anyone
find a period recipe? I *think* I remember seeing one..........but Heaven
only knows where!

Ldy Diana, who would probably value a index in the back of period cookbooks
more than even measurements in each recipe!