SC - Julleran's Sugar/Candy Glass

Michael Macchione ghesmiz at UDel.Edu
Wed Sep 17 11:11:14 PDT 1997

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Mark Schuldenfrei wrote:

> She and I, together, have made stained glass renditions of arms.  We made
> marzipan for the "lead", and poured colored hard crack (technical term in
> candymaking) sugar into the various pockets to form the arms.  It's messy,
> but it seems to work adequately well.  Humidity can play hell with hazing,
> though.
>
> You can use food paste to make "food paint" with.  We mix it, or powder
> colors with vodka for paint.

I had always wanted to make a rendition of coats of arms as a subtlety,
but have always ran into trouble with coming up with period ways to get
the various colors. (ie not food colors)

what do you mean by food paste?  can you add it to the sugar to make
colored glass  or must it be painted on later.  Can you add anything to
the sugar or does it cause havoc with the sugar as it cools?

I had also thought of rolling out a sheet of marzipan or something similar
and topping it with various fruit "sauces" in a heraldic design.  But
again, have run into trouble trying to accomadate the various colors.  Red
is easy, but what would work well to get a good yellow, green, blue, black
or purple.  Any ideas.

kael