SC - Julleran's Sugar/C

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Sep 19 07:08:39 PDT 1997

marilyn traber wrote:

> If memory serves me, limes we use today are a post period subspecies
> cross of lemon and key lime but i may be wrong, though in herbals a lime
> tree is mentioned, it is a temperate deciduous tree fond in england and
> the leaves are used.

As far as I know, there are three types of citrus fruit limes. Persian
limes and Tahitian limes are the Old World varieties, although the
Tahitian lime was discovered by Europeans more or less after the
discovery of the New World Lime, which is the Key lime. Persian limes
are pretty much the only period option, but you'd be most likely to find
them in Indian and Persian dishes. Persian limes are small, maybe two
inches across, roundish, and have a thin skin. (Key limes are even
smaller, spherical, with an even thinnner skin, which is almost yellow
when ripe). Tahiti limes, which have achieved the status thay have
reached in spite of being kinda insipid, but are generally seedless,
easy to peel, and travel extremely well, are large, oblong, and with the
ubiquitous bumps at either end.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com