SC - Return of the Dread Recipe Challenge

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Sep 18 11:00:51 PDT 1997

Hi, all!

It felt good to actually post a recipe to this list again. It occurred
to me that, while the various tangents have been interesting and
enertaining, we might could get back to business just a tad. Not to say
we should stop the other stuff, unless Sir Gunthar objects to the
bandwidth use, but for cooks, we seem to be straying from the subject of
food a bit.

To that end, I'm posting a period recipe from a (somewhat) primary
source, Curye on Inglysche. This is one that has been the topic of some
discussion on the East Kingdom mailing list.

"IV: FORME OF CURY

26  Hares in Papdele. Take hares; perboile hem in gode broth. Cole the
broth and waisshe the fleyssche; cast a3eyn togydre. Take obleys o6er
wafrouns in defaute of loseyns, and cowche in dysshes. Take powdour
douce and lay on; salt the broth and lay onoward & messe forth."

As stated elsewhere, and for reasons stated elsewhere, I have
substituted numerals for various Middle English characters. Read "gh"
for the "3" and "th" for the "6".

Hint: loseyns are a flat pasta similar to lasgna. Pappardelle are a type
of broad (1 inch?), long noodle, like giant fettucine, still eaten in
Italy today, which may or may not be what the recipe is talking about. I
honestly don't know for sure.

Anyone want to do a redaction of this baby?

Adamantius

Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com