SC - Rapes Recipe

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Apr 2 20:15:06 PST 1998

Well its kinda close to what you were looking for and I need help on it
sooo.....
the Rapes(Lentil Crisps) from Fabulous Feasts ( which are good!) caused
us some trouble and I was wondering if anyone has tried/been sucessful
with it? Our balls crumbled...they didn't stick togtether after following
the reciepie so we added breadcrumbs then rolled in the oatmeal mixture
and fried but when they came out they crumbled again...still tasted good
but we need to get them right for a royal feast...
Thanks in advance.

Rapes (Lentil Crisps)
1 1/2 cups oatmeal
2/3 cup almonds, skinned, slivered or ground
2/3 cup coconut
4 tbs honey
1 cup lentils
2 cups beef broth
1/2 lb ricotta or small curd cottage cheese
1/2 tsp salt
6 eggs hard boiled & chopped
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 c rasins, chopped ( or currants)
1/2 dates, pitted and chopped
1 tsp dried sweet basil
vegetable oil for frying in a heavy deep skillet

method
1) Mix oats, almonds, & coconut and spread evenly on 2 well greased
cookie sheets. drizzle with honey all over, and bake in 425 oven for
approximately 10 minutes.  The result ought to  resemble " granola".
Cool. Reserve in 2 shallow bowls
2) Wash lentils. Boil them in beef broth and 1/2 teaspoon salt for 15
minutes in a large pot. Drain
3) Mix cheese, eggs, salt, raisins, dates, and sweet basil together, and
unite with lentils.
4) Roll the lentil-cheese mixture into teaspoon-size balls and
immediately roll each into oat crubs until evenly coated.
5) Gently fry in oil until golden brown.
6) Drain on paper towel and serve crisps warm.