SC - Blood Oranges

marilyn traber mtraber at email.msn.com
Mon Apr 6 12:52:40 PDT 1998

At 01:43 PM 4/6/98 -0400, Christi Redeker <Christi.Redeker at digital.com> wrote:
>Not to bring up the long dead topic of whether corn is a period food item
>[ ... ]
>"Perfectly preserved in the waterlogged sediments were the remains of a 13th
>century corn mill, consisting of the wooden foundations and an over 6 metre
>long water-wheel drife shaft."

In the U.S. we use the term "corn" to refer to what at one time was the
predominant grain here: maize.  In England, "corn" refers to wheat, in
Scotland and Ireland it refers to oats.  Maize is the world-wide term for
what we Americans call "corn".  My reference: Webster's New Collegiate
Dictionary (G. & C. Merriam Co. 1981)

So it is entirely possible that the authors meant either wheat or oats (or
even some other grain), depending on where the author was from and/or where
the mill was found.

Sorry to have to convey such disappointing info ...

In Service,

Konstanza