SC - corn...

Mary Morman memorman at oldcolo.com
Mon Apr 6 14:25:27 PDT 1998

                      corn...                                      4/6/98

Whether or not maize was used in period there is a beautiful italian painting
called "Summer" by Guiseppe Arcimboldo, c. 1573.  It is a "man" made entirely
of fruits and vegetables wearing a jacket woven from wheat stalks.  Included
in the painting are: various grains, artichoke, maize, eggplant, grapes,
cantelope (or very similar melon) pears, plums, peaches, scallions, garlic,
peas, cherries, raspberries, onions, possibly a cucumber, possibly a
gourd/squash, possibly a roma-style tomato, and a few other things I just
don't recognize.
Has anybody seen anything else in this vein?  Did he do a spring/winter/fall
as well?  Are there similar representations from other artists in other
countries?  I am looking at a postcard.  It doesn't tell us if they were eaten
or how, but it does show that things were familiar in a certain place at a
certain time.
- -brid