SC - Of Interest

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Apr 6 16:45:48 PDT 1998

Brid,  are you looking for more paintings of vegetative folk and / or
collections of food stuffs from a given period?  If the latter check out
_The Kitchen_ by Vicenzo Campi (1536 - 91) in the Pinacoteca de Brera,
Milan or _The Kitchen of an Italian Villa_ attributed to Michaelangelo
Cergnozzi. The painting _Young Daughter of the Picts_ by Le Moyne de
Morgues (1533 - 1588) shows a woman heavily tattooed with flowers but not
made of them. And  in an early 17th century kitchen scene by Astolfo
Petrazzi (1579 - 1665) the headding reads "cabbages and pumpkins" but
looks to my eye like cabage and cantalope and squash... among other foods
shown. Just  found them all in Renaissance Recipes.
hope this helps
Genevia
On 6 Apr 1998 12:44:17 -0700 "Marisa Herzog"
<marisa_herzog at macmail.ucsc.edu> writes:
>                      corn...
>4/6/98
>
>Whether or not maize was used in period there is a beautiful italian
>painting
>called "Summer" by Guiseppe Arcimboldo, c. 1573.  It is a "man" made
>entirely
>of fruits and vegetables wearing a jacket woven from wheat stalks.
<<<Yes it is very striking>>>>>