SC - Many questions.

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Mon Apr 6 15:25:30 PDT 1998

I have seen a few paintings with similar themes and I believe they were
Arcimboldo's work.  If I remember correctly, some of them can be found in a
book entitled Renaissance Recipes.  While I didn't see any of Arcimboldo's
work in the most recent edition of Elizabeth David's Italian Cooking has a
many pieces of Italian Renaissance artwork with food as the subject.

Having maize in an Italian Renaissance painting doesn't surprise me.
Northern Italy is one of the places which took quickly to gran turco and
started using it in the polenta.

My wife says there are at least two different "Summers", they are parts of
complete seasonal sets and that she vaguely remembers reading that there may
be as many as four different seasonal sets.

Bear