SC - Blood Oranges

Tue Apr 7 12:58:31 PDT 1998

Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 18:25:30 -0400
From: renfrow at skylands.net (Cindy Renfrow)
Subject: SC - Many questions.

2)I am opening with Wardonys in Syrup, and I have found a few different
versions.  Some boils the pears till tender in water, and some use a red
wine with mulberries.  I was wondering if anyone had done this and which
they used, and results, that sort of thing...  Also, if there is anything
restrictive about the European distribution of Morus Spp., however I don't
remember hearing about any.

Hi again!  I forgot -- I posted a wardonys in syrup recipe to
http://members.aol.com/renfrowcm/ttemsample.html

Cindy

I heartily reccomend the "poached in red wine" version from Pleyn Delit,
though I used their original and had novice cooks redact it from scratch .
We used it one or two events ago, for my First Baromial Investiture menu,
and that set of novice cooks were able to do a terrific job of it. They were
so good the pears almost didn't make it out of the kitchen! As a joke, one
of the cooks poked cloves into several pieces (thereby making the poached
pear quarters look like purple slugs with eyes), and served them to High Table.

This dish is versatile enough to be done up to a week in advance and
chilled, so that the day of the event you need only portion it out and serve
it. It improves with the added "marinating" time. Since it comes out a nice
rich red/purple color, I reccomend that you garnish with something very
pale: long strings of lemon or orange zest made using a zester, perhaps, or
whipped-cream puffs, and serve on a pale plate. Another good bet would be
shortbread fans stuck into one or two of them (wait, I'm getting visually
inspired here.......). Sudden vision: Lemon and orange zest tails and wings
(or lettuce or sweet herbs), and a head from a piece of pastry stuck in the
last minute: Voila, a phoenix! It might be worth the trouble for high table!
I think I just invented a Dish.

Hope this helps just a little bit.

Aoife--who happens to be very hungry at the moment.