SC - Oculis Exciditis Porcus Dimidius Facti

THL Renata THLRenata at aol.com
Fri Apr 10 09:19:32 PDT 1998

All this talk of saffron has reminded me...

My sister was in (on) Grenada and brought me home many packets of spices,
which are a popular tourist souvenir there.

Among the packets was one labeled as "Columbo". It smells a bit like curry and
is a browny-green-greyish color, so it's not tumeric or fenegreek.

Does anyone out there know what this might be?

And speaking of saffron, there was a packet of bright yellow powder labeled
saffron. Does anyone know if autumn crocuses grow on Grenada, or is this
safflower? It seems a bit *too* yellow to be either, since both saffron and
safflower red towards reddish. I can't tell by the aroma and I haven't had
the chance to use it in a recipe yet.

Thanks for your help!

Renata