SC - mail list

Sat Apr 11 06:00:20 PDT 1998

Haifuku!

	A discussion on the origins of kasutera (sponge cake) came up on one of
the Japanese language newsgroups. One company that makes the cake
commercially claims that it can be traced back to the Iberian peninsula
during Roman times, with the date of 300 BC being given. Two questions -

	Do we have any sort of information on the foods of Spain and Portugal
from that time (not that I expect to learn that we have sponge cake
recipes dating that early)?

	Since the confection was introduced into Japan in the second half of
the 16th century, do we have a European recipe for sponge cake from that
time period? Most sources I've seen claim that it was the Portuguese
that brought it to the archipelago, but some credit the Dutch instead.

	Yumitori