SC - knives

FionaNyx FionaNyx at aol.com
Sun Apr 12 07:38:22 PDT 1998

Deborah Schumacher wrote:

> I'm still trying to catch up on the digests (367 out of 600 done- but I do
> have to work sometime )

Most of us do, or are working to find work, or whatever. (And, yes, housework /
parenting counts!)

Keep slogging on those digests and you'll reach a good discussion of knives,
types, care, usage, and so forth.  Or cheat slightly and check the Florilegium:
I believe Stefan has added at least part of that discussion by now.

> What kind of knives do you recommend as being affordable but being practical
> and lasting a long time?

Caveat: I'm a blade merchant, so...

I recommend Old Chicago, Case, Ecko, Maxam, and a line with stock I still carry
that has been around since before my grandfather started selling
wholesale-purchased blades in addition to his homemades. (And the specific name
of the line is something which I've never learned, but must, since I'm part of
the family chain of backing for the lifetime guarantee on said blades.) I've
seen variations sold at fairs and flea markets, and something similar even in
blister packs at the grocery store under several differing brand names: cast
aluminum handles, stainless steel blades, a whole range of common blades styles
available.

Most important in the knife-buying decision process is whether or not the handle
fits your hand and the blade fits the purpose for which it is to be used. I've
seen old, cheap, plastic-handled imports with a poorly maintained edge
outperform fancy new purchases with a razor-sharp edge.  I've seen
well-maintained cheap blades fall apart in less than a year while a high-quality
blade with less than perfect maintenance was restored to perfect function with a
few short minutes at the sharpening stone.   YMMV

Maintenance is essential, critical, mandatory. Not just sharpening or dressing
an edge by using a steel, but simple clean-up and preservation steps like oiling
can make all the difference between a family treasure and a piece of trash that
shold be flung forcefully and accurately into the nearest dustbin.

> And What are the knives  you would get  if money
> was no object? ( something to start with and something  to save for. )

Hand-forged to my specifications, preferable by my own hand. Lacking that I've
got a few foreign locales or imports to check out.  Short of custom, I am
leaning toward Sabatier, Trident, or Wusthoff for the high-end kitchen /
food-prep / serving cutlery.

Based on personal experience, I'd be very leary of Wilkinson cooking knives
without more current data (my mother has a Wilkinson that has NEVER kept a
decent edge to my knowledge, though it got better after we started using crock
sticks for final step in re-sharpening).

Amra / Kihe / Mike
Steppes (Ansteorra)
COBOL Sr P/A For Hire