SC - syrup of lemon

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Apr 12 08:42:30 PDT 1998

> 	The some of the folk on the language newsgroup thoeorized that the
> name
> was imported during the time that the Dutch were under Spanish
> rulership.
>
> 	Yumitori

Possibly, but the window of opportunity is very small.  In 1519 Charles I of
Spain became Holy Roman Emperor Charles V through the Hapsburg line.  I
think he was also married to the King of Portugal's daughter, which would
make a solid bond between the two countries in the appropriate period.

As to Holland, the Inquisition was brought in to root out heretics and was
opposed by some of the locals.  The Inquisition killed of some of the
Flemish leadership in 1568 and started an 80 year revolt in the southern
provinces.  The northern provinces formed the Union of Utrecht in 1579 under
the leadership of William the Silent, Prince of Orange.  In 1581, the Union
repudiated the Spanish claims and began a revolt, which, with English
support, resulted in the independence of the Lowlands in 1609.

Bear