SC - building a feast library

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Sun Apr 12 12:53:43 PDT 1998

I am here to tell you of the virtues of those old knives with wooden handles
and black blades that look ugly in the flea market or thrift store pile of
knives.  The dark blade is a sign of carbon steel-- they hold an edge really
well.  Wooden handles are easier to hang onto when your hands are slippery
than plastic.  Collect these as you can find them in the sizes you need-- my
paring knife is in use daily!

Care:
1)  Learn to sharpen knives correctly.
2)  Keep them in a block, not thrown in a drawer rubbing against each other.
3)  Do not put them into the dishwasher.*

*Carbon steel rusts, the heat of the drying cycle will damage wood handles,
and besides, sharp knife blades will cut through the coating of the dishwasher
rack to the wire and it will start rusting.