SC - Mystery Spice

THL Renata THLRenata at aol.com
Sun Apr 12 21:49:53 PDT 1998

In a message dated 4/12/98 1:35:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time, ddfr at best.com
writes:

<< So I cooked and cooked the juice and it did get a little thicker. I cooked
 >it for about 20 minutes and  my question is how much of a syrup should it
 >be? how thick? Are we talking Maple syrup?  >>

A question> How di you "cook" it? Production of syrups, jellies, candies and
jams are pretty mush similar and the basic difference is the temperature the
product reaches. The key cooking term here is "boiling" not simmering or any
lesser heat. At a rolling boil the length of time you cooked the mixture
should have been sufficient to produce a thick syrup.

 As with any sugar based product be very careful that vyou do not splash any
on yourself because nasty burns similar to those caused by melting plastic can
result. Also watch carefully to prevent boiling over. This can be avoided by
stirring down as the froth rises to the top of the pot in the early stages.
Later, you may have to combine stirring and heat adjustment to eliminate this
phenomenon.

If you accidently continue the boiling beyond the syrup stage you will produce
a nice jelly  or beyong that soft and hard candy.

Ras