SC - Saffron-Stefan help!

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Apr 14 17:15:40 PDT 1998

In a message dated 4/14/98 1:09:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dvkld.dev at mhs.unc.edu writes:

<< So, what is the right climate? >>

Saffron crocuses can be grown anywhere that there is a temperate climate with
obvious seasonal changes.  Anywhere that crocuses can be grown in general.
Each flower produces 3 threads meaning that 2 flowers would easily flavor
and/or color a rice dish of 4-6 servings.

It takes 40,000 threads or approximately 13,334 flowers to make one ounce of
DRIED saffron threads.  These are all pick and toasted by hand thereby
explaining the expense of this wonderful herb.

On another note, a recent discussion of herbs and spices brought out a few
suggestions as to the difference between the two.  Some opinions were based on
"botanical" definitions and others were based on usage.  The Food Almanac A-Z
gives the CULINARY definition of spices as the fruit, seeds, berries, bark,
roots and leaves of TROPICAL plants used for seasoning.  Herbs are defined as
the leaves, stems, seeds, roots, etc., of TEMPERATE zone plants used for
seasoning. Since my interests in herbs and spices as a group is for
consumption and seasoning, I personally use the culinary definition. :-)