Saffron amounts (was Re: SC - Spices-another source)

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at tddtx.fujitsu.com
Thu Apr 16 12:55:40 PDT 1998

Speaking of saffron amounts, I have a question.
My lord and I will be cooking Pain Perdu for breakfast at our Royal Progress
event in May.  This requires saffron as the primary flavoring ingredient for
the egg mixture which coats the bread.  I am, unfortunately using the
redaction minus original from _Seven Centuries of English Cooking_ because
I've haven't the original available in any of my books (The book says it comes
from _Two Fifteenth Century Cookery Books_).  So, first, if anyone could send
me the original, I'd greatly appreciate it, as I've learned not to trust this
book's redactions.
Second, it calls for 1/8 teaspoon ground saffron for 6 slices of bread, this
being 2-3 servings.  I need to know how many threads of saffron makes 1/8
teaspoon; or, alternatively,  how much I would need of ground saffron to serve
approximately 200 people (ie 400 slices of bread.)  I could work out how many
teaspoons I'd need, but that doesn't tell me how many ounces to buy!

Many thanks!
Brangwayna Morgan