SC - Middle High German Translation

Valoise Armstrong vjarmstrong at aristotle.net
Sat Apr 18 19:50:17 PDT 1998

Good Cousins,
    Thanks to all who responded to my post on the carving books. Haven't
located any yet but am still looking.

Now I shall pose a new question or two.
    some time ago I downloaded a few pages of a german cookbook from the
mid - late 15th century.A friend and I have been attempting some
translation. I recently saw a post here indicating that one or more
persons on the list have knowledge of Middle High German, and I would
like very much to correspond with these people to cross-check our
translation. We have two German-English dictionaries (one in Fraktur)
and a very abridged Middle High German dictionary, as well as my
friend's very good knowledge of conversational German, but have come
across a few words that we can't seem to find at all.
    Anyone who is up to helping out will be appreciated, ad of couse I
will post the recipes to the list as we get them done.

Here is a sample:

Ein Igel von Mandel

Der neme mandel/weivil erwilt/ stoss odermals/seichs durch ein
tuch/schute das in ein hafen/ zwierle mit einens holz durch einander/
geuss die milch kalt darauff/ zhu zucker darein/ das dick das in dem
tuch bleibet/ must zusamen forme/wie ein Igel/lass im gefassligen/so
seichts es sich auss/ wirde eim Igel gleich/so bestecks mit mandel oben
uber/das sein die pozster/man mags ferben/obervergulden die mandel/ nymb
ehrlich zucker darein.

(note: italics are umlauts)

Our pathetic attempt: (probably grammatically horrid)

A Hedgehog of Almonds

He takes the almonds/ as many as he wants/ pounded or milled/ strain
through a cloth/ pour that into a pot/stir with wood throughout one
another/ pour the cold milk on it/ do sugar in it/ the thick (part) that
remains in the cloth must form together/ like a hedgehog/ leave it in
the container(until it is the shape?)/ pour themselves out/ it will turn
out like a hedgehog/ so stick with almonds around and over/ these will
be the (quills, spines?)/ one would like to color it/ gild over the
almonds/ take (put) good sugar on it.

a cute little almond paste hedgehog with almond spines, colored, and /or
gilded... I think

comments please, public or private,

Ceridwen
ceridwen at commnections.com