SC - RE calendula for saffron

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Sat Apr 18 19:29:45 PDT 1998

Several years ago, I was reading about period herb gardens in Europe.  I read
that calendula flowers were used in period, dried, as a substitute for
saffron.  I am sure this reference was not a primary source.  If I can find it
again I will report to this list.

Everybody please note that that fact of a history of substitution does not
guarantee flavor equivalency-- a point Lord Ras has gone to lengths to stress.

~~Minna Gantz