SC - test -- ignore please

S.Albert salbert at ptialaska.net
Mon Apr 20 01:13:44 PDT 1998

Ann said:

Nay, this is an extremely practical idea, assuming the right climate and
the inclination to garden.  Most recipes (I've seen) require a thread or
two in a dish, nowhere near an ounce.  Even expanded to SCA feast sized
recipes, only  a dozen or so threads weighing less than an ounce.  With
those quantities in mind, I would think that anyone living in an area
conducive to growing saffron crocus should purchase a half dozen bulbs.
With a few years of attentive gardening, they will have multiplied  into
a couple of dozen bulbs, enough for an impressively saffroned dish in SCA
quantities at an important event.  Those with the right climate and
like-minded friends could probably grow enough to make their locals
despise any yellow food.

- ---------
I’m afraid there is a bit more to saffron than just growing the stuff.
You still must process it with care. I’m not saying you can’t grow and
process it yourself but beware that you might not get the quality you
were hoping for. Saffron has been discussed numerous times on this list
and the Rialto. You might be interested in reading through these files
in the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section of my Florilegium:

saffron-art       (16K)  8/11/97    How to buy and select saffron by Tony Hill.
saffron-msg       (40K)  2/ 4/98    Types of saffron. period uses.

As you mentioned, you don’t usually need much at one time. The cost per
application is not that expensive. You can decrease this further by
buying from some of the spice merchants mentioned here. There are a
number of these merchants listed in this file:

spices-msg        (97K)  2/ 4/98    Info. on spices, sources for spices.

My files are available at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net