SC - Violet Roots

Robert C. Lightfoot celtcat at almatel.net
Mon Apr 20 22:40:08 PDT 1998

<<  Any suggestions? I've considered waivers, I've thought about not
      charging the couple so that I'm not actually "catering." I just want
      to cook this meal because I think it will be a blast. What have any of
      you done in this situation?

      Katja >>

Have you checked with your insurance agent to see if your personal liability
policy will cover you if you do the event as a favor and only charge for the
cost of the food?  Your friends may still want to give you a little something
as a gift for your time.  That is how I handled a similar situation prior to
starting my personal chef business.

Another thing you may wish to consider is that if you charge for your services
you may have to have a caterer's license in your state.  If someone gets sick,
you  may have the double whammy of your insurance not covering a business
related claim, and having the Health Department knocking at your door.

Barb Kuhn