SC - Fwd: Spice Is Nice

Sharon Nevin nevray at netspace.net.au
Thu Apr 23 21:45:08 PDT 1998

Okay pannetone, stollen and hot cross buns are all fruit filled breads
similar to Digby's Excellent Cake, so I assume you are looking for yeast
rising batter cake.

I don't have any provenance on the following recipe.  I suspect it is
mid-19th Century.  It is essentially a coffee cake.

It is drier than a normal cake, so don't over-bake it.

I think Stefan has my pannetone recipe and my stollen recipe in the
Florilegium.  If you can't get them, drop me a line at
terryd at health.state.ok.us and I'll send them out privately, rather than
waste bandwidth with a repost.

Bear

Streuselkuchen

Cake:

2 1/4 to 2 1/2 cups unsifted flour
1/4 cup of sugar
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon (1 pkg.) dry active yeast
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup butter
1 egg

Mix 1 cup flour, sugar, salt, and yeast in a large bowl
Place butter and milk in a sauce pan.  Warm (120 to 130 degrees F).
Slowly add dry mixture, beat for a couple of minutes.
Beat in egg and 1 cup flour.
Beat at high speed for a couple of minutes.  Add remaining batter to make a
stiff batter.
Spread the batter into a greased 9 inch square cake pan.

Topping:

1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup unsifted flour
1/2 cup butter or margarine

Mix sugars, cinnamon and flour.
Cut in butter until the mixture forms a crumb.

Sprinkle the topping onto the cake.
Cover loosely and let rise until doubled (about 1 1/2 hours).
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F until done (about 45 minutes).