SC - Off-Topic - Musk Lifesavers and other delicacies

San Fernando Valley Girl sfvg at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 23 22:39:02 PDT 1998

>From last week
> >The Sunset Western Garden Book shows crocuses (including the Saffron
Crocus)
> >as being able to grow in all *western* zones. This being the case, I
have
> >talked my mom out of yet more of her garden space to try this.
> >My question is, where can one get saffron crocus bulbs or plants?
> >Renata

There is one problem growing crocus bulbs. Its called birds - in particular
sparrows. The little dears love to shread the flowers apart (someone told
me it was for the threads). Especially just before you get there in the
morning. There is not a lot that can be done about this. You can try
attaching strips of stuff to stiks (particularly aluminium foil) to act as
a "scarecrow", try netting (looks hideous, and the poor little things get
caught and either do themselves a damge or the cat gets an extra meal - not
recommended), or race the little blighters to the threads (in which case
you are going to lose). We use to have a barrel cut in half and filled with
soil in which we planted crocus (in the UK). 90% of the time the birds got
to the flowers and shredded them. (shredded as in little pieces of purple
petals EVERYWHERE)

I don't know if this applies to one species of croci or all (and I don't
know what kind of croci we were growing either).

 Sharon Nevin

(No, I'm not behind. I just went away for a week with 55 other students
most of whom were 19 on a field trip.Not to be recommended.)