SC - Looking for Lord Charles of the Park

Andrew_Hunt@ig.defence.gov.au Andrew_Hunt at ig.defence.gov.au
Mon Apr 27 16:05:41 PDT 1998

Well, it depends on why you are substituting.  Vegetable stock does not
have the fat associated with chicken stock, and so seems a little
'thinner'.  If your aim is to get away from animal products, vegetable
stock is a good substitution, it is much better than just using water.
If you are making it from scratch, I would recommend roasting your
vegetables first, especially your carrots and onions (in the skins, cut
in half or large chunks) to release the sugars within and to add to the
color and aroma of your stock.   I usually let my onions get black on the
bottom before adding them to a stock pot for this very reason.   Be
careful of using pungent veggies such as turnips in the stock, for the
flavor these impart will be very noticable in the finished product.
 Good Luck!

Mistress Christianna MacGrain, OP, Meridies