SC -Online Library

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at algonet.se
Thu Apr 30 21:55:15 PDT 1998

Hi all from Anne-Marie
Rowan says:

> Verjiuce is a fabulous ingredient which has made its way into my mundane
> cooking in a big way. It is now produced commercially here in 750 ml and
375
> ml bottles which ship just fine. The taste is fresh and much lighter than
> vinegar, neither sweet nor as bitter as Seville oranges which are
sometimes
> recommended as a substitute. It is wonderful to deglaze a pan with after
> sauteing chicken or fish as well as in medieval recipies. If anyone is
> interested, I'd be happy to investigate shipping.

Its actually availalbe here in the states as well...you can get it in
Seattle at De Laurenties in the Market (a big Italian import food store) or
at Larry's Market (a very upscale grocery store). Fortunately for the rest
of the country, you can mail order from Dean and Delucca as well. I believe
they even have a website.

I concur that the stuff is fun...though I find that it molds very quickly
after opening (not acidic enoucgh, I guess) even when stored in the fridge.

I keep meaning to do some taste testing, combining lemon juice and
different vinegars in an attempt to duplicate the distinctive acerbic and
slightly sour flavor.

- --AM