SC - Oculis Exciditis Porcus Dimidius Facti

CorwynWdwd CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Tue Apr 14 09:13:01 PDT 1998

> However, a period substitution for saffron IS dried calendula flowers.  They
>  were commonly grown in European herb gardens.

Please excuse what is probably a dumb question, but what period soruce advises
calundula as a substitute for saffron? I knew it was used in broths in it's
own rights, "To impart courage and strengthen the heart" as I remember
(vaguely) from Gerard's... but it would be a boon to have that particular
quote, or quotes.

Thanks

CorwynWdwd at aol.com