SC - Calendula for saffron-RANT

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Apr 14 20:31:15 PDT 1998

In a message dated 4/14/98 10:46:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Kallyr at aol.com
writes:

<<  If you haven't tried them either, I suggest
 you wait until you do to offer your opinion on how inappropriate they are. >>

Been there.  Done that.  All of the opinions I express on this list are
entirely based on personal experience.  And since I have been "doing" period
cooking and research for 11 years plus, I feel that my viewpoints are valid
and based on solid evidence as opposed to supposition and theory.

As far as the "appropriateness" of my advice against substituting calendula
for saffron, I can only say that I have not prepared nor eaten any dishes that
were comparable in flavor when such a substitution was used.  It is, IMO, far
better to find a recipe out of the hundreds that are available that uses the
ingredients at hand than to bastardize a perfectly good period recipe by
substituting ingredients which in affect produce a dish that bears little
resemblance to the original in flavor.

My advice has always been sound as most people on this list will attest to.
My political views may not be popular but my cooking skills and knowledge in
this field are unquestionably based on sound ground.

If the list doesn't need or want me to share my expertise then that can also
be arranged.  BUT until I receive proof that there was an expectable flavor
substitute for saffron, I continue to hold the opinion that such substitution
was simply not done.

My apologies in advance for this rant but it really did hit a sore spot.  Any
further participation in this forum demanded that I get it off my chest.
Period cookery is, after all, one of the few passions I have and any
suggestion that I would purposely mislead hurts rather deeply.

al-Sayyid Ras al-Zib, AoA, OSyc
Kingdom of Aethelmearc
Shire of Abhain Ciach Glais
Mountain Confederation
Clan Ravenstar
"I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow
doesn't look good either.-Anon."