SC - the new Miscellany

Seton1355@aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Wed Aug 5 19:28:14 PDT 1998

> I still believe what my mother and grandmother always said, that a child is a
> fussy eater only if you let them get away with it.  This goes for cats too,
> but that's another story. . .
>
> I've always wondered why it is an automatic reaction here in the US to give a
> child that is a fussy eater "familiar" food, where an adult is supposed to be
> able to adapt or change their tastes.  Wouldn't it be easier to have children
> eat the same things adults do to make them more accepting of new tastes?
>
> Noemi

In defense of my "picky child,"  she ate anything and everything when she was 1.
At 3, she discovered the idea of "tactile defensivness" (in addition to the idea
of "looking yucky"  or being "sticky").  It is a normal phase, so it doesn't
bother me that she has given up peas entirely in favor of a green salad.  Or that
she won't eat a casserole but will eat a meal of the same ingredients.  It
doesn't bother me that she wants the brown part of a banana cut off.  I was a
hundred times pickier as a child.  Now I avoid what I'm allergic to.  I'm very
receptive to trying new things.  I am sure my daughter will be the same.  I will
try to feed her everything at a feast she will deem to have on her plate.
Someday she will ask me to taste the others if she sees me (or Daddy) eat them.
Sorry, but she knows if she doesn't eat, she starves.  That is the only lesson
she needs.  I don't battle over food.  If there is something available that I
know she will like better, I give her the option.  If it's not, she makes due.

Brenna