SC - beets & cabbage

Russell Gilman-Hunt conchobar at rocketmail.com
Mon Aug 10 21:24:55 PDT 1998

> > Saturday, I had the umpteen thousandth lecture from my dad on why I should
> > enjoy my steack much more rarely done than I do, followed by his ridiculous
> > refusal to cook it any longer than the others.  I had to go out and stand by
> > the fire another minute myself...  I'm quite a bit older now.  Perhaps
> > it's just one of those lame dad-type jokes to make me do this every time.
> >
> > Bonne
>
> Not my place to tell you about your family, but your father sounds like my
> biological mother.  She was a control freak. ... Sorry, it's not a joke
> to me.  It's a control thing.  He won't relinquish control of how you "should"
> eat, so he makes it as uncomfortable for you as he can to get what you want to
> eat.
>
> Brenna

 As little kids, mom let us be.  As bigger kids, the house rule was that
everyone had to eat one serving of every dish on the table.  This was mostly
to prevent someone who didn't like X from loading up on more than their fare
share of Y. Really turning your nose up at a dish got you the instruction to
go make a peanut butter sandwich, which was eaten at table with no
consequences.  One of us is a chef, the rest of us all cook for fun, 2 in SCA,
so lucky for us dad wasn't involved in the food input and output(!) when we
were toddlers/preschoolers!

The thing between my dad and me about the steak is about it for food control
freakishness in our family.  I've never quite understood it.  He and I were
going through a lot at the time it developed (I was 13, afterall), I guess
it's just a remnant.

Bonne