SC: OT Heifer project...wasRe: Subject: SC - Re: SC European foods - Real Pizza

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Thu Aug 13 20:02:08 PDT 1998

Sister Mary said..
>>Does the phrase - "supply them with fish and they eat for a day, teach them to
>>fish and they eat for life"  mean anything.  The US Welfare system is proof
>>that handouts don't work either!!!  Food must be accompanied by education!!!

Okay now that I have a name to a posting... :D

Yes the phrase does mean alot to me. And I also agree with it, but the state
of poverty and hunger of some of these countries goes beyond the Pale where
hunger overrides the desire to be taught. Case in point, being the program
recently cited that didn't work because they were eating their breeding
animals. Some of these people can't, not won't,  see beyond the next meal.
Rather than living paycheck to paycheck, these people live meal to meal.
Sorta like fatten them up, get their brains functioning in a healthy body
and then teach.

Micaylah