SC - butter - salted/unsalted

Rebecca E Tants retants at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 21 08:20:33 PDT 1998

Alys here.  Most of you won't know me because I dont post often, and
Gunthar always introduces me as Barbara, so if you've met me you still
dont know Alys.  I am Gunthar and Thyra's roommate, and have worked with
him on all of the large feast that he as done.  My main input is
organization (Gunthar has none, so it is needed).  Here are some things
that make it easier for us.

When planning portioning for that large a group I have two rules of
thumb, plan for 4oz of each meat per person, and no matter how many
veggies you plan on making, cut it in half.  Unless you are going to
grill or stir-fry them with seaseme oil, then people can't get enough of
them.

For the last feast Gunthar did (Steppes 12th Night, 500 people) I took
the receipies and made a spread sheet of the ingredients.  This helped
me do fewer shopping runs since many ingredients are duplicated.  I
multiplied the receipes to make enough for 20% fewer people than we were
expecting.  Not everyone will eat everything.

Next I went to the store and didn't buy a thing.  I got pricing on
everything from at least two sources.  When you are cooking for this
many it is very easy to spend a ton of money before you know it.  After
deciding where the best deals were and what things we just couldnt
afford to do I had a comprehensive shopping list.

I know this seems a little work intense, but I think that it was worth
it in the long run.

Alys