SC - Commune?

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Fri Aug 21 08:46:25 PDT 1998

On Fri, 21 Aug 1998 kathe1 at juno.com wrote:
<snip>
> Other than that, if you're doing more than one  course, <snip>
>
> Julleran

I suggest NOT doing more than one course.  I cooked wedding feast for a
young friend three years ago (it was, coincidentally, on my own wedding
anniversary).  I thought it one of the best feasts that our cooks group
had done - good food, excellent service, moderate price ($600 fed 150 plus
servers and cooks) - but the non-SCA wedding guests were very unprepared
for what we did.  we served three courses, each on large platters taken to
each table.  the guests, who were expecting a more restaurant-like
individual servings meal, were in the kitchen complaining before the first
course was even completely served because, a) they hadn't gotten theirs
yet (it took about 15  minutes from start to finish to serve all tables),
and b) "there wasn't enough" to go around.

we tried hard to let people know that there were three more whole meals
coming out and that they were expected to eat a -little- of each, but it
didn't work.  the first people to get to the serving platters took a giant
portion leaving none for others and then most nibbled at the second course
and left the third totally uneaten.

doing this again, for non-SCA folk, i would put a short essay on each
table explaining that the food comes out in courses, that there is LOTS
more coming and that the feast is supposed to last for several hours not
twenty minutes.  Asking them to serve each other with the choicest tidbits
rather than fill their plates like teamsters at a boarding house (though i
might find a nicer way to say that...).

or, more likely, i would simply give in and serve everything in one course
with as many different dishes as i could manage.  this is more difficult,
because if you can't spread the cooking out over the time to serve the
courses you have more of a problem with oven space, etc.

so, that done, who wants to move to colorado and join the cooks commune
we'd like to form in that gigantic edwardian house with the commercial
kitchen  and  enormous dining hall and wine cellar?

elaina