SC - Roast beef

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Aug 21 21:48:27 PDT 1998

Anne-Marie answered Ras about roast beef:

>there are numerous recipes for roast beefs in the Elizabethan corpus, and
>roast beef is listed in the menus of Chiquart, et al, but no recipe is
>given. There are roast dishes of beef, ie alowys, etc, though.

>the recipe we used was an Elizabethan one (the beef is rubbed with spices
>and sugar, baked and marinated for a long time under weight).

Ok, Stefan's back from Pennsic and he's just as curious as ever:

*marinated for a long time under weight*??

I assume this is from the period recipes. Why marinate under a wieght?
What does this do? Compressing the meat might keep it from soaking up
the marinade, but isn't that what you want the meat to do? And if that
is what you want, why not marinate and then compress under wieghts
to drive out the marinade after it has been marinating for a while?

And is this marination after baking or before?

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net