SC - Roast beef

Valoise Armstrong vjarmstrong at aristotle.net
Sat Aug 22 08:39:25 PDT 1998

Bear wrote:
>I've a transcript of Ein Alemannisches Buchlien von guter Speise

<whole bunch snipped>

>I haven't found a translation, so I'll probably get to display the
>mediocrity of my language skills in translating it.

There isn't an English translation as far as I know. Let me know if you
have any problems with the translation and I'll help if I can. I've found
that there are definitely some food and cooking-related words that don't
show up in Middle High German dictionaries. I've taken to photocopying
glossaries from every German culinary history source I run across and
binding them together as my own dictionary. It's not fool-proof, Germans
were as bad as the English about creative attitudes toward spelling.

Valoise