SC - recipe spreadsheet

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Aug 25 03:19:06 PDT 1998

>One of the truly greatest moments in my time in the SCA was when I was
>arranging to attend an Interkingdom Cooks' Collegium in the Shire of
>Stierbach,
>in Atlantia, some years ago. I volunteered to teach a course on safe food
>handling, and the autocrat was quite apologetic. He said that he had already
>had two previous volunteers for that material, and asked if I'd I either like
>to teach something else or have him ask one of the other teachers to teach
>something else. He couldn't understand how thrilled I was to hear someone else
>was teaching the material, and would be thrilled to teach something else.
>
>The autocrat went on to say very few people used to teach the material before
>an article on the subject appeared in T.I. a year or two previous, written by
>some guy with an odd Roman-sounding name...and then lots of people were
>teaching it.
>
>Rather gratifying, if I say so myself.
>
>Adamantius

   Teaching it at an Arts and Sciences session is a good idea.  We only
have three people in this barony who show any enthusiasm for the cookery
side of things.  Out of those three, all have done courses on Cooking.  One
is currently employed as a chef in a restaurant.  Ifsomeone flips back
through my CV they will see that I am qualified as a professional Pastry
chef even though I don't actually practice it as my primary income earner
and the other have various certificates on food preperation (Mostly Indian
foods, but we don't hold that against him =)  I find it helps having these
certificates, and it certainly helps that there are at least one person in
the kitchen who knows what they are on about with regards to Food
Preparation.  So it's a good thing to have if you can get it.  Failing
that, having someone who knows what they are on about teaching an Arts and
Sciences session on the subject could be considered the next best thing.

Just my Aus $0.02 worth
- -Sianan

Marina Denton
sianan at geocities.com

		Confidence is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat,
		and taking the tartare sauce with you.
						-Zig Ziggler