SC - HELP!!!!!

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Aug 25 09:21:48 PDT 1998

Tyrca said...
>Ok, the situation is that your group keeps leftover dry goods with no
>date marks and no indication of how old they are, right?  I think that
>it is not too bad an idea to keep stuff that has not been used,
>especially canned goods and the like that have not been opened.

We don't have canned goods in the box, just what I indicated.

And then she went on to say...
>Spices I can see too, as sometimes it is difficult to buy just a
>little.  But I think that all items in the tote should be marked the
>date they are put in the tote, and after an arbitrary time limit, say
>6 months to a year, they should be "recycled" into the dumpster.

Where do you live that you cannot get, say, $0.20 worth of mace or cinnamon?
Bulk spice stores have been around forever. I also stated that this box gets
used three times a year. There WAS stuff in there that was 4 and 3 years old
(yuckie poo-poo). I feel that if you can't smell the herb or spice, its no good.

>Try to remember that dry goods have a long shelf life, and that not
>everything you buy commercially is "fresh", and you really have no
>idea when the flour or spices you buy at the grocery were packaged, or
>how long they have been on the shelf.  Of course they are better cared
>for there, but the idea of "fresh" flour or rolled oats is sometimes
>moot.

I realize that flour and such have a long shelf life. What I said was, that
I don't know what it is exactly. However given the variable conditions that
can be present (damp musty basement, storage in a garage, rainy trip to site
etc) the shelf life obviously will decrease under less than perfect conditions.

Does your group have this "box" as well. And if you do, do you feel
comfortable using it?

Thanks :)
Micaylah