SC - Gotta quick question

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Sat Aug 29 23:39:37 PDT 1998

Hi all from Anne-Marie
> I think he has an excellent idea.  How about a thread on what works
> sucessfully in your guild?

easy!
In the Madrone Culinary Guild, we have about 20 years experience in some of
our members, plus we have me (a trained microbiologist and ex-4Her),
combined with Mistress Rowenna, who follows any type of poultry around with
a can of Comet with Bleach and a scrubbie :)!

seriously, we rarely premake food, so its always fresh, and we have trained
individuals to keep everyone honest. We ALWAYS make the first slot on the
kitchen schedule time to sluice down all the counters with a solution of
bleach, we ALWAYS prewash our stuff after taking it out of storage and
before using it, and we ALWAYS nag our help to wash their hands, keep their
hair tied back, be sure to use a clean spoon for that, lets test that with
a meat thermometer, shall we?, when in doubt, throw it out, keep things hot
or cold as appropriate until served, etc etc etc.

we've had folks with food handlers permits in the past in our kitchen, but
it's not a requirement. We find that good old fashioned common sense, mixed
with a healthy dose of watching the new guys :) works pretty well for us. I
have yet to hear of anyone with a complaint after one of our feasts, unless
you count eating too much.

- --AM